The Chief of Staff Vice-Admiral Mark Mellett DSM, officiated at the Commissioning Ceremony of 63 Army Officers, 18 Air Corps Officers and 6 Maltese Officers at Dublin Castle on Thursday, 20 February 2020. This is the second time since the commissioning of the first Cadet Class (1928 – 1919) that the ceremony was held outside the Curragh Camp.
Lieutenant-Colonel Gavin Young is the Cadet Master and Commandant Gary Walsh was the Class Officer. The Parade Commander, and OIC Officer Guard of Honour, was Commandant Bernard Behan from the Artillery School. The newly commissioned Gunner Officers received their first salute from Regimental Sergeant-Major Mark Fitzsimons.
The newly appointed officers completed a demanding 15 months intensive training and have taken up appointments as junior leaders in Óglaigh na hÉireann and the Armed Forces of Malta.
The Artillery Club extends sincere congratulations to the following ten officers who were commissioned in February 2020, and appointed by Vice-Admiral Mark Mellett DSM to the Artillery Corps:
1 Artillery Regiment
- Lt Robert Sheehan, from Cork
- Lt Stephen Donovan, from Rathfarnham, County Dublin
- 2/Lt Killian Ahern, from Mallow, County Cork
- 2/Lt Pat Grennan, from Tullamore, County Offaly
- 2/Lt Blathnaid De Gailli, from Thomastown, County Kilkenny.
2 Artillery Regiment
- 2/Lt Colm Folan, from Spiddal, County Galway
- 2/Lt Eamon Kiernan, from Naas, County Kildare,
- 2/Lt Dermot Langtry, from Drumelin, County Cavan
- 2/Lt Garry Marron, from Carrickmacross, County Monaghan
- 2/Lt Erika Murray, from Sutton, County Dublin
Photographs courtesy of Paul Pakenham
To view screen show, please click on any photograph